What Is Secular Humanism?
Secular Humanism is a term which has come into use in the last thirty
years to describe a world view with the following elements and
- A conviction that dogmas, ideologies and traditions, whether
religious, political or social, must be weighed and tested by each
individual and not simply accepted on faith.
- Commitment to the use of critical reason, factual evidence, and
scientific methods of inquiry, rather than faith and mysticism, in
seeking solutions to human problems and answers to important human
- A primary concern with fulfillment, growth, and creativity for
both the individual and humankind in general.
- A constant search for objective truth, with the understanding
that new knowledge and experience constantly alter our imperfect
perception of it.
- A concern for this life and a commitment to making it meaningful
through better understanding of ourselves, our history, our
intellectual and artistic achievements, and the outlooks of those
who differ from us.
- A search for viable individual, social and political principles
of ethical conduct, judging them on their ability to enhance human
well-being and individual responsibility.
- A conviction that with reason, an open marketplace of ideas,
good will, and tolerance, progress can be made in building a
better world for ourselves and our children.